Faced with the increasing threat of raids by the Scots, Newcastle was granted permission
in 1265 to build a wall to protect the town and its inhabitants.
The wall on completion was just over two miles long, about seven feet thick and ranged from
twelve to twenty five feet high.
These photographs show whats left of the wall and towers. They follow the course of the wall in a
clockwise direction starting at Orchard Street in the west, and ending at the Sally Port Tower in the east.
Photo album created with Web Album Generator