Village about half way between Morpeth and Ashington in south east
Pegswood 'took off', so to speak, in the mid 19th century with the opening
of the colliery. In 1821 the population was recorded at 155. By the time
of the census in 1891 it had risen to 1400.
For more information about the history of Pegswood and some great photos,
Robert Dixon's web site at: